Monday, July 12, 2010

A New Day

Good morning all. It is the dawning of another day. I had a good weekend with my Guardian Knight brothers and sisters manning our table at the Susquehanna Valley Harley-Davidson Anniversary Celebration. We met a lot of good people and were able to promote Operation SOS and our ride. We also picked up about 3 potential members.

The down side to the weekend is that our air conditioning here at the house has not been working for the past week. I had a service tech in both Fri. and Sat. and they were unable to fix it for various reasons. I will have another back today, and hopefully we will have cool air again by tonight. Thank goodness for cool nights the past few days.

Today Brittany has two job interviews. One is downtown and we have not come up with a place for her to park so I will drop her off and pick her up. She has been diligently looking for work for the past few weeks and has a total of 3 interviews this week. I hope something pans out for her. She is kind of bummed that the job search is so hard, but I remember the old days when you had to pound the pavement and knock on doors. Now you submit applications and resumes via the internet. A couple of these jobs sound promising, but we shall see. She is newly graduated from Harrisburg Area Community College with an Associates Degree in Business Management with an emphasis on computer science. She is proficient in the entire Microsoft Office Suite as well as basic HTML and a basic knowledge of networking. She has a great work ethic and can type like the wind. She is extremely organized as well. Who ever is smart enough to hire her will get an employee who will be an asset to their work place. She is looking for an entry level position as an administrative assistant with aspirations to move into an Office Manager position in the future.

Well enough of the commercial. It strikes me that tomorrow is also her birthday. My baby girl is turning 21. That is amazing to me. It is hard to believe that the time has passed so quickly. It seems like only yesterday we were dealing with bullies on the playground and new bikes. Now she has her own car (and makes the payments) and is job hunting. It somehow seems wrong that she could be this mature already, but then again, at her age I was engaged and planning a wedding within a couple of months (yes I am still married to that same girl).

It is also now only 2 days to the Wild Hogs II trip. We leave on Wed. morning at 8 am. I am sooooo looking forward to this trip. There is something about the open road and no schedules that is so liberating and relaxing. It is also the fact that I will be hanging out with my brothers that make it even better. These are great guys that I had the privilege to grow up with. I know we won't be getting into any trouble and will just have a good time getting away. For the most part our wives are in favor of the trip as well. I know of one who is feeling a bit left out, but she will survive for a few days. I think it is more the prospect of being left with the kids for 5 days that concerns her. My daughter even set me up with Skype on my laptop so that if we can find a "hot spot" we will be able to video conference. Of course if we can find a connection I will also try to update with photos and comments here as well.

I have been working on getting the bike ready. I have replaced the front brakes and will replace the coolant and top off the brake reservoirs. I installed a power outlet so that I can charge my various equipment while on the trip. I have a power inverter that will allow me to charge the laptop since the battery life is not what it used to be, but I will also be able to charge the cell phone, GPS unit, i-Pod, and most important of all inflate my Aero-bed for sleeping. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I am old and it seems to me that if I can be comfortable via technology, why would I sleep on the ground?

It is amazing to me how such a big bike can get packed up so fast. I was test fitting gear yesterday, and there never seems to be enough room. There is no way I could take a passenger along. Of course, I realize that not all the gear is essential, but after all it is supposed to be vacation. Once I have everything loaded and ready to go, I will post a picture of the Beast all prepared for battle.

Well, I have been sitting here typing long enough. Time to call the A/C service and find out when they are coming out and get some other work done around here before it gets too hot today. I am of course debating the eternal question... Should I plan to go to work tonight, or burn a vacation day and call this week a wash. That remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment