Monday, July 5, 2010

Isn't It amazing?

Isn't it amazing that some of our poor misunderstood victims of an unfair society (sarcasm) can have the nerve to say the most vile and vulgar things to a member of the medical staff that has entered their cell block to see if they need any medical attention, then in the next breath say "I don't mean to disrespect or offend you, but..." What's wrong with these idiots? Even if their parents did not teach them basic respect, shouldn't they have picked something up along the way... or is society that screwed up that respect and some sense of right and wrong no longer exist?

These same people think that consequences should only come while they are committing some act of idiocy and should cease at the moment that they stop their behavior. No doubt the reason they are in prison and will continue to come back. Most feel that wrong is only wrong if you get caught. They also think it is unfair if consequences are brought to bear if you did not fully explain every possible outcome to an action, or that they must be told specifically and personally to "stop" doing something or it must not be wrong because they were not told to stop.

Dealing with inmates is often like dealing with little kids. Apparently they were never taught any of the basics of how to act in public. They are demanding and questioning, and I have to resist the urge almost daily to respond to their need to have an explanation for ever instruction with... "because I'm the Block Officer and it's my turn to be mean." (an adaptation of a saying I co-opted from my friend George who when asked why his daughter was not allowed to do something by a 7 year old neighbor girl, replied "Because I'm the Dad and it's my turn to be mean!").

Well enough about the dregs I put up with on the block. Overall we had a good night that was incident free. This is of course the best kind of night, made even better by the fact that it paid "holiday pay" (triple time).

I am getting even more excited about our trip next week. I am working on getting the bike ready. New front brake pads, oil change, check lights, install accessory outlet (to power cell phone, ipod, laptop), rig a camera mount for lots of pics, and of course clean it all up nice and shiny (at least we'll start the trip clean). We are meeting on Tues. night to make final plans for destinations, camp sites etc. It is going to be such a great getaway. I do hope we will be able to find hot spots where we will be able to log in to update and upload pics. Riding and sightseeing during the day, and camp fires, stories and bonding at night. 5 days on the road with only what you can carry on the bike. I LOVE these trips.

Next week is also my baby girl's 21st birthday. Another milestone reached. Boy, you really start to feel your age when it dawns on you that your daughter is the same age you were when you got married! I turned 21 in June of 1981 and was married in Aug. of that year.

I know she is all grown up, but my heart doesn't buy it. She is a great person... smart, responsible and beautiful. Regardless, I just can't help thinking of her as my little girl. I guess that is a Dad's right. This, as with all milestones like walking, talking, starting school, first boy friends, driving, graduating high school, and graduating college, is bittersweet. While I revel in her accomplishments, I also realize that each one brings her closer to the time when she will leave home and strike out on her own. That too, is what I want for her. But, sometimes I feel like I would like to keep her around for a long time. That of course is selfish and unrealistic, but grant a father a little self indulgence at least in his thoughts.

Well, enough for now! I must get some sleep. The work week has just begun and I must not be too tired to babysit the county's kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment